At Stats NZ we are pushing boundaries.
We provide the information that helps key decision-makers make better, more informed decisions for a stronger New Zealand. This means we need forward- thinking people with diverse backgrounds and experiences to join our team and work with us to unleash the power of data for New Zealand.
We are looking for students to join our paid data and analytics summer internship programme from November 2017 – March 2018. If you are skilled at exploring, analysing, wrangling, collaborating and innovating with data then we want to hear from you.
As an Intern you will complete a 12 week project focused on using data and analytics to support decision making for New Zealand.
Our internship programme will give you a unique insight into the New Zealand public sector and the opportunity to:
- Develop skills in a real work environment by practically applying the skills from your related university course. Be challenged with important, real-world work. You’ll have the chance to work on and answer an interesting research question to advance knowledge in an important area.
- Build your career network; be part of a data and analytics network of interns, develop key relationships across different government agencies.
- Gain invaluable experience working in a government agency; be exposed to the machinery of government and learn about some of the exciting work and projects that exist within analytics across six central government agencies.
- Participate in learning opportunities offered throughout your intern programme.
- Join our talent pipeline – so you can keep in touch with potential employment opportunities, when you are looking to gain employment.
We are looking for interns who:
- Are working towards a tertiary/post graduate qualification within a data and analytics field, or undertaking a degree with a significant research component.
- Have the technical skills needed for the one of the projects on offer. Technical skills include programming, data modelling, establishing a framework to investigate a research problem, and being able to produce insights that are useful to customers.
- Positive, motivated, strong at managing work projects, willing to learn and to get involved
- Projects will run for approximately 12 weeks from 27 November – 02 March, with a two week Christmas break (12pm, 22 December – 7 January). The two week shut down will include 4 paid statutory holidays, 3 paid department days and 3 days unpaid annual leave. 8% annual leave will be paid out at the end of the fixed term period.
- Interns will work a 37.5 hour week, on a fixed term contract and be paid the equivalent of $20.00 per hour.
- Interns will be part of a data and analytics internship network and have the opportunity to learn about different agencies, the work they do and the kind of outcomes they deliver for New Zealanders.
||22 October 2017
||Week commencing 23 October 2017
||By November 6th 2017
|Internship programme launch and start
||27th November 2017
Please review the Position Description here.
To complete an application form please follow this link – you will need to set up and account and apply online by 22nd October
If you have any questions about the internship programme please contact Emily Woolford on 04 931 4140 or Emily.Woolford@stats.govt.nz